Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Having my cake and eating it




I have been in a mood latterly. Asking myself those existential questions and so on, But I have come to the conclusion that in order to move on one must let go. And I mean let go of everything, just let go. You know what people, easier said than done, letting go is hard. I wish I was one of those people who just don’t care and don’t give a frack.
Well I am not and right now things are bringing me down I feel stuck and its driving me insane. That being said there are a few things that cheers me up, music and cooking are two of those things. Where I am going with this?
I listen to an old song I heard when I was younger, from lord of the dance which brought me into this Irish mood. Sometimes the Irish just don’t care they move on with their life they can be passionate  about things, so I got myself into the Irish mood and I wanted to cook something Irish inspired.
Hey when I hear Irish I think Guinness, whiskey, baileys, and a few other things. But for today we are going to stay on those. I decided despite my diet, despite all the crap that’s going on I am going to give myself a little bit of pleasure in the form of a few cup cakes. Do you guys see where I am going with this?
Chocolate Guinness cup cake, with a baileys and whiskey filling, topped with whipped cream lightly dusted with chocolate powder. Can you say yummmm and hell yes!
Now some people find the name Irish car bomb offensive, I think it’s a cute name for a cup came so I am calling my cup cakes
Irish Car Bomb Cup Cakes:
Here’s what you will need for the cakes:
125g of unsalted butter
125ml Guinness
75g of dark chocolate (I use 90% cacao)
140g of self raising flour
2tbsp baking soda
200g of sugar

What you need for filling

2 eggs
75g of sour cream
For the filling you will need:
100g of chocolate (again dark chocolate 90%)
60ml of bailey’s Irish cream
60ml of double cream
25ml of whiskey
Method:
Mix butter, chocolate and Guinness in a sauce pan on a slow heat till everything is melted together. Set aside and let cool down.
Mix flour, baking soda, sugar into a mixing bowl then add the Guinness mixture
Then add the egg and sour cream. Fill up your cup cake tins and cook for 15m in an oven at 180 degrees Celsius.  Stick a tooth pick into the cup cake if it comes out clean then it is ready. Put aside to cool and get ready to make your  filling.

Filling: in a sauce pan add chocolate, double cream, bailey’s Irish cream, and whiskey and stir on a small heat till the whole thing is melted together. It’s like making a basic garnish.
Once that is done, set aside to cool down. If you can’t wait that long I suggest you cool it down in a cold `Bain Marie`.
For the decoration:
Decorating is very simple, first you make a hole in the cup cake by using a cupcake corer, if you don’t have one, by all means be imaginative. I used a very small cookie cutter. Once that is done fill the cupcakes with the chocolate baileys and whiskey filling replace the top.
Top the cupcakes with some fresh whipped cream, dust lightly with chocolate powder and finally place a cherry a mint leave on top of the cream, and voila.
For me the best part about this is sharing the cup cakes with others, seeing their reactions, reminds me why I am a person who cares, why it’s so hard for me to let go of things.
I still believe there are certain things that I am going to need to let go of in order to move on and enjoy my life, but until then I will always have cupcakes and smiles.
“It is easy to be pleasant when life flows by like a song, but the man worthwhile is the one who will smile when everything goes dead wrong. For the test of the heart is trouble, and it always comes with years, and the smile that is worth the praises of earth is the smile that shines through the tears.”
 Irish saying

2 comments:

  1. Oh those look and sound delicious! I am going to have to try these!

    I hope you feel better soon, it is tough when you have to let others go, even if it is better for you in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. please try them, trust me you are going to love them. i thought it would have been bad when you try the chocolate guinness mix by itself, but when every thing comes together you would want to eat it even before its cooked.
    i will feel better as soon as i leave the job that i am at. its not so much people i have to let go of but more my way of living. i live from job to job never getting to save or enjoying much of my life. the vagabond in me is fighting claw and nails to get out, even if i am poor as hell. i think i am going to plan a trip to the states soon i have put it off for too many years. even if i have to couch surf walk from state to state don't care anymore if i don't i think there will be a part of me that will die. very dramatic right all me, a drama queen. lol

    ReplyDelete